SCO is still around in some form. I believe it’s mostly just a support offering. They converged on two products in the ‘90s: OpenServer (SVR3) and UnixWare (SVR4). It seems like most people preferred or were stuck on OpenServer while UnixWare would have eventually been a nicer system but I don’t know first hand. They also shipped a version of FreeBSD 10 commercially a handful of years ago. On Sat, Mar 20, 2021 at 6:32 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > So this is just me, I'm not a fan of SCO even though I was the guy that > added TCP/IP to that OS. > > SCO just felt like it was the back burner. Sun felt like it was the > front burner that was pushing things forward. SCO was the team that > said they had this and did nothing with it. > > On Sun, Mar 21, 2021 at 12:12:17PM +1100, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote: > > On Saturday, 20 March 2021 at 17:18:43 -0700, Larry McVoy wrote: > > > Yeah, but wouldn't that mean that SCO Unix had to be open sourced? > > > Or did they buy the rights? > > > > They didn't "open source" SCO, but in January 2002 they released > > "ancient Unix" under a "BSD-style" license. See > > http://www.lemis.com/grog/UNIX/ > > But I'm sure everybody knows that. > > > > > While I mostly can't believe anyone would want SCO Unix, I do know that > > > they ran a lot of cash registers, or maybe they were the server, I > dunno, > > > somehow point of sale and SCO was a thing a long time ago. So maybe it > > > is a legacy thing? > > > > I haven't been following SCO recently, but at some point they had > > taken UnixWare from Novell. I'm sure that, too, is common knowledge. > > > > Greg > > -- > > Sent from my desktop computer. > > Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. > > See complete headers for address and phone numbers. > > This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program > > reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA > > > > -- > --- > Larry McVoy lm at mcvoy.com > http://www.mcvoy.com/lm >