The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Bitsavers' RT/PC, AIX, AOS, etc. recent additions
@ 2020-02-18 13:28 Jason Stevens
From: Jason Stevens @ 2020-02-18 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: TUHS

I was more interested in the "Mach" kernel itself as I've only recently been able to get it to boot up from sources for the i386.
I hadn't looked into the other aos/vrm stuff.  But that is interesting, a 4.3 with the vfs.
In hind sight maybe Mach wasn't so bad with its messaging and threads, along with multiprocessor support.. Its what we all were eventually desiring anyway.
One thing is for sure, multiple GHz machines sure make it a lot easier to use, these days.
I'd gotten lucky with Mach as the platform code is really modular and even a monkey like me banging on a keyboard of an existing Mach 386 machine was able to get the latter source running under the older platform code.  Shame Mach 3 seems to have broken all the fun stuff or requires real effort and understanding... Things I lack.
But I was really surprised about the coprocessor cards..  I wonder what other interesting things are in there.  Or how hard it is to hammer 386 BSD into aos "sort of a 4.3 Tahoe ++"
From: Al Kossow @ 2020-02-18 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2/18/20 5:28 AM, Jason Stevens wrote:

> But I was really surprised about the coprocessor cards..  I wonder what other interesting things are in there.  Or how hard it is to hammer
> 386 BSD into aos "sort of a 4.3 Tahoe ++"

I haven't dug into finding this yet, but wasn't there an RT netBSD?

I've been interested in Mach since messing with MacMach on a IIfx in the early 90's
Has there been any collective effort trying to recover RIG/Mach code?
It all seems very fragmented.

* Re: [TUHS] Bitsavers' RT/PC, AIX, AOS, etc. recent additions
@ 2020-02-18 13:41 ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2020-02-18 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Stevens; +Cc: TUHS

Well, it’s not particularly hard to find a Mach system today.  The fruit
company makes computers and mobile phones with it.  Steve Jobs enamor for
Avie Tevanian is well chronicled in the common biographies.

The problem with Mach is their ukernel implementation was pretty shit while
the ideas were sound.  MacOS runs like an old dog to this day on anything
remotely system% intensive (like say a network server).

IBM abandoned the idea of any ukernel with AIX3 for RISC/6000.. Charlie may
be able to add commentary on that but it was almost certainly for
performance which was paramount in the workstation wars and RS6K had an
front runner opening.

The idea of small TCBs and IPC has really been perfected in L4 kernels;
seL4 in particular is one of the most interesting pieces of systems
software today.  Fruit company uses a different older L4 for their security
coprocessors and had a Darwin port for L4 at one point called Darbat.

Regards,
Kevin

On Tue, Feb 18, 2020 at 6:29 AM Jason Stevens <

@ 2020-02-20  1:44   ` David Arnold
From: David Arnold @ 2020-02-20  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

> On 19 Feb 2020, at 00:39, Al Kossow <aek@bitsavers.org> wrote:

<…>

> I've been interested in Mach since messing with MacMach on a IIfx in the early 90's
> Has there been any collective effort trying to recover RIG/Mach code?
> It all seems very fragmented.

I went looking for some of this a few months ago, but it seemed like it wasn’t going to be a simple search.  At one time I’d played with CMU Mach, Utah Mach, OSF Mach, and Apple’s MkLinux, but it all seemed to have drifted into broken links and missing FTP servers.

Sprite, Accent, Spring, Amoeba, VSTa … a lot of the OS projects I remember from that era seem to have disappeared.  Only Plan9 seems to have really survived (not counting the Mach bits of Darwin).

* Re: [TUHS] Bitsavers' RT/PC, AIX, AOS, etc. recent additions
@ 2020-02-20  2:03     ` Al Kossow
From: Al Kossow @ 2020-02-20  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

On 2/19/20 5:44 PM, David Arnold wrote:

> Sprite, Accent, Spring, Amoeba, VSTa … a lot of the OS projects I remember from that era seem to have disappeared.

There was a Sprite CD that I should have somewhere.
I don't know if I ever pulled down all of Amoeba
I keep hoping someone has Accent (or any of the CMU tape archive)

I did put up my copy of the Stanford V Kernel on bitsavers a while back.

* Re: [TUHS] Bitsavers' RT/PC, AIX, AOS, etc. recent additions
@ 2020-02-20  2:09       ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2020-02-20  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Al Kossow; +Cc: tuhs

https://web.archive.org/web/20000901081815/http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/amoeba5.3/ <https://web.archive.org/web/20000901081815/http://www.cs.vu.nl/pub/amoeba/amoeba5.3/>

> On Feb 19, 2020, at 6:03 PM, Al Kossow <aek@bitsavers.org> wrote:
>

> On 2/19/20 5:44 PM, David Arnold wrote:
>
>> Sprite, Accent, Spring, Amoeba, VSTa … a lot of the OS projects I remember from that era seem to have disappeared.
>
> There was a Sprite CD that I should have somewhere.
> I don't know if I ever pulled down all of Amoeba
> I keep hoping someone has Accent (or any of the CMU tape archive)
>
> I did put up my copy of the Stanford V Kernel on bitsavers a while back.

* [TUHS] anedotes: RT/PC VRM, (early) AIX compilers, IBM (Research) software release/pricing [was Re: Bitsavers' RT/PC, AIX, AOS, etc. recent additions
@ 2020-02-20  6:44   ` Charles H. Sauer
From: Charles H. Sauer @ 2020-02-20  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Bowling; +Cc: TUHS

> On Feb 18, 2020, at 7:41 AM, Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com> wrote:

> IBM abandoned the idea of any ukernel with AIX3 for RISC/6000.. Charlie may be able to add commentary on that but it was almost certainly for performance which was paramount in the workstation wars and RS6K had an front runner opening.

I initially missed Kevin's ping after my spam filter put several TUHS messages in /var/mail/devnull. (I eventually skim subject lines of messages that go there.)

I could write more than I want to/should about how the VRM came to be and not to be, but will try to add a little to what I've said before (https://notes.technologists.com/notes/2017/03/08/lets-start-at-the-very-beginning-801-romp-rtpc-aix-versions/). I'm trusting 30+ year-old memories here and not looking at the various papers and manuals that might inform.

I joined Glenn's AFWS project July 5, 1982. There was no well defined software plan yet. Glenn wanted to do something useful and significant, and proposed that we do the VRM. We had several distinct user environments in mind. I took the lead in writing a specification of the VMI (virtual machine interface) while others started prototyping. We were way overly ambitious with abstractions along the lines of the single level store of (Glenn's) System 38, trying to take advantage of the 40 bit addressing of the Rosetta virtual memory chip, yet still heavily influenced by CP/CMS. After a few months, Al Chang, primary person behind CP.R, came to Austin for a design review of what we'd done. He told Glenn he'd grade our work "C+". That might have been generous.

We scaled back our ambitions dramatically, started working with ISC. About the time (1983) of the transition from "ad tech" to "product" organization, it became clear that our virtual memory manager needed to be scrapped and we lifted what Al had done for CP.R and put it in the VRM.

In hindsight, the VRM turned out better than it might have. Besides AIX there was a version of Pick for VRM that sold about 4000 copies according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_RT_PC. Though the VMI cost us some in performance, we were surprisingly successful in minimizing the penalties. But with AIX 3 and RS/6000 we wanted to take dramatic steps forward, and it made no sense to preserve the VMI.

Anecdotal comments on other TUHS/COFF discussions:

If I recall correctly, pcc, eventually including the HCR optimizing phase, was bundled with base AIX. Initially, the C compiler based on the PL.8 compiler would only run on CMS, so it was not generally available outside of IBM, but app vendors, especially CAD vendors, were enabled and encouraged to come to Austin to use it to get the best performance. The native C compiler based on PL.8 compiler concepts ended up being a complete rewrite, outside of Yorktown, and sold as a separate product.

Producing software products, getting them released, priced, etc. was very confusing to me most of the time I was at IBM. Part of it was the history that Clem has cited. Part of it was confusion about the antitrust suits against IBM. Part of it was confusion about whether and what software was patentable. Academics and others wanted access to the modeling & simulation software, RESQ, my team developed at Yorktown. Eventually, the concept of "Research Distributed Program" was agreed upon and RESQ was the first instance: https://technologists.com/sauer/RA144.pdf. However, we were forced to price RESQ much higher than I thought reasonable. I had already transferred to Austin by the time the release was official -- I don't know how many copies were sold. But source code was necessary to take full advantage of RESQ so the PL/I source was included on the tapes.

When OSF was announced, with the intention of making AIX source available to the other OSF companies, I was stunned because it was so uncharacteristic of the IBM I thought I knew. It would be interesting to know how that would have worked out if OSF had stuck with AIX and IBM had delivered the source on the schedule everyone hoped for, but that's on a different timeline than this one.

--

@ 2020-02-20  7:18     ` arnold
From: arnold @ 2020-02-20  7:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, davida

David Arnold <davida@pobox.com> wrote:

> Sprite, Accent, Spring, Amoeba, VSTa … a lot of the OS projects I
> remember from that era seem to have disappeared.  Only Plan9 seems to
> have really survived (not counting the Mach bits of Darwin).

At some point there was a Sprite CD being sold, which I think I
have somewhere....

Accent only ran on the PERQ; I once described Mach as "Accent on the
VAX". :-)  So, unless you have PERQ hardware or an emulator, it wouldn't
do you much good even if you had the source.

Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] anedotes: RT/PC VRM, (early) AIX compilers, IBM (Research) software release/pricing [was Re: Bitsavers' RT/PC, AIX, AOS, etc. recent additions
@ 2020-02-20  8:27     ` Kevin Bowling
From: Kevin Bowling @ 2020-02-20  8:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles H. Sauer; +Cc: TUHS