On Mon, Jan 3, 2022 at 5:03 PM Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote: > On Monday, 3 January 2022 at 15:44:11 -0800, Larry McVoy wrote: > > On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 05:21:51PM -0600, Doug McIntyre wrote: > >> On Mon, Jan 03, 2022 at 04:15:08PM -0500, Dan Cross wrote: > >> I'd agree, 2.4 was pretty slow and chunky, 2.5 was alright, but 2.5.1 > was quite usable and stable. > >> Also by this time, the hardware was going in directions that SunOS > wouldn't keep up with. > > > > Yeah, Doug is right, SunOS was pretty simple, it didn't really take > advantage > > of SMP, Greg Limes tried to thread it but it was too big a job for one > guy. > > > > That's not to say that SunOS couldn't have evolved into SMP, I'm 100% > > sure it could have. It just didn't. It's a shame. > > An interesting question. I had always thought that SMP was (one of?) > the technical reasons why Sun moved from a BSD to a System V base. > Since then, of course, we've done lots of work on SMP support for at > least FreeBSD. Does anybody have an overview of how good the support > is compared to modern Solaris? Is there any intrinsic reason why one > should be better than the other? > > Greg > -- > Sent from my desktop computer. > Finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key. > See complete headers for address and phone numbers. > This message is digitally signed. If your Microsoft mail program > reports problems, please read http://lemis.com/broken-MUA.php Relevant proceedings https://www.usenix.org/legacy/publications/library/proceedings/sa92/