The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] The 'usage: ...' message. (Was: On Bloat...)
@ 2024-05-19 14:03 Douglas McIlroy
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2024-05-19 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

> was ‘usage: ...’ adopted from an earlier system?

"Usage" was one of those lovely ideas, one exposure to which flips its
status from unknown to eternal truth. I am sure my first exposure was on
Unix, but I don't remember when. Perhaps because it radically departs from
Ken's "?" in qed/ed, I have subconsciously attributed it to Dennis.

The genius of "usage" and "?" is that they don't attempt to tell one what's
wrong. Most diagnostics cite a rule or hidden limit that's been violated or
describe the mistake (e.g. "missing semicolon") , sometimes raising more
questions than they answer.

Another non-descriptive style of error message that I admired was that of
Berkeley Pascal's syntax diagnostics. When the LR parser could not proceed,
it reported where, and automatically provided a sample token that would
allow the parsing to progress. I found this uniform convention to be at
least as informative as distinct hand-crafted messages, which almost by
definition can't foresee every contingency. Alas, this elegant scheme seems
not to have inspired imitators.

Doug

* [TUHS] The 'usage: ...' message. (Was: On Bloat...)
@ 2024-05-19 23:08 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2024-05-19 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list

>> Another non-descriptive style of error message that I admired was that
>> of Berkeley Pascal's syntax diagnostics. When the LR parser could not
>> proceed, it reported where, and automatically provided a sample token
>> that would allow the parsing to progress. I found this uniform
>> convention to be at least as informative as distinct hand-crafted
>> messages, which almost by definition can't foresee every contingency.
>> Alas, this elegant scheme seems not to have inspired imitators.

> The hazard with this approach is that the suggested syntactic correction
> might simply lead the user farther into the weeds

I don't think there's enough experience to justify this claim. Before I
experienced the Berkeley compiler, I would have thought such bad outcomes
were inevitable in any language. Although the compilers' suggestions often
bore little or no relationship to the real correction,  I always found them
informative. In particular, the utterly consistent style assured there was
never an issue of ambiguity or of technical jargon.

The compiler taught me Pascal in an evening. I had scanned the Pascal
Report a couple of years before but had never written a Pascal program.
With no manual at hand, I looked at one program to find out what
mumbo-jumbo had to come first and how to print integers, then wrote the
rest by trial and error. Within a couple of hours  I had a working program
good enough to pass muster in an ACM journal.

An example arose that one might think would lead "into the weeds". The
parser balked before 'or' in a compound Boolean expression like  'a=b and
c=d or x=y'. It couldn't suggest a right paren because no left paren had
been seen. Whatever suggestion it did make (perhaps 'then') was enough to
lead me to insert a remote left paren and teach me that parens are required
around Boolean-valued subexpressions. (I will agree that this lesson might
be less clear to a programming novice, but so might be many conventional
diagnostics, e.g. "no effect".)

Doug

* [TUHS] Re: On Bloat and the Idea of Small Specialized Tools
@ 2024-05-18 18:07 Douglas McIlroy
From: Douglas McIlroy @ 2024-05-18 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: TUHS main list