It's not a card, but it's brief: vi(1) in the v10 manual covers vi, ex, and edit in three pages. On Tue, Jun 4, 2024 at 1:47 AM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > On Monday, June 3rd, 2024 at 9:46 PM, segaloco via TUHS > wrote: > > > On Monday, June 3rd, 2024 at 9:31 PM, Will Senn will.senn@gmail.com > wrote: > > > > > Today after trying to decipher the online help for vim and neovim, I > decided I'd had enough and I opted for nvi - the bug for bug vi compatible > that I've used for so long on FreeBSD. It handles cursor keys, these days > (my biggest gripe back when, now I'm not so sure it's an improvement). It's > in-app help pages are about 300 lines long, the docs are just four of the > 4.4 docs: An Introduction to Display Editing with VI, Edit: A tutorial, EX > Reference Manual, and VI-EX Reference Manual - all very well written and > understandable. It does everything I really need it to do without the > million and one extensions and "enhancements" the others offer. > > > > > > In doing the docs research, I found many, many references to a "Vi > Quick Reference card" in the various manpages and docs. I googled and > googled some more and of course got thousands of hits (really many > thousands), but I can't seem to find the actual card referenced. I'm pretty > sure what I want to find is a scanned image or pdf of the card for 4.4bsd. > > > > > > Do y'all happen to know of where I might find the golden quick ref > card for vi from back in the 4.4bsd days or did it even really exist? > > > > > > Will > > > > > > Perhaps this? https://imgur.com/a/unix-vi-quick-reference-Nw0sfTH > > > > Pardon the quality and host, not in a place to do a more thoughtful scan > and archival right now. That was in a stack of documents I received some > time ago, thrown in with stuff like V6 and KSOS manuals, some BSD docs, > etc. so I presume it's also "official" fare. That and no commercial > indicators (TMs, copyrights, etc.) > > > > Let me know if that link doesn't work and I'll try and find my scanner > and do it properly (scanner is MIA apparently...) > > > > - Matt G. > > > > P.S. I also have the AT&T branded version of this from 1984, it's a > small 22 page flipbook with the same cover motif as early SVR2 binders (so > the grey with some "deathstar" lines not the red with black accent dots). > Once I find my scanner I'll get that on the glass. > > Looked a bit harder and found it, scanned that booklet: > > > https://archive.org/details/unix-system-v-visual-editor-quick-reference-issue-2 > > The two appear different enough, although they may share a common > ancestor. I hope one or the other fits what you're searching for, either > specifically or at least generally as a concise vi(1) reference. I keep > the AT&T booklet at my desk as a matter of fact, it's quite convenient. > > - Matt G. >