The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: M Douglas McIlroy <m.douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu>
To: tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org
Subject: Re: [TUHS] [TUHS} Typing Tutor [and tuhs archive]
Date: Sat, 6 Feb 2021 18:28:19 -0500	[thread overview]

This topic is evocative, even though I really have nothing to say about it.

Mike Lesk started, and I believe Brian contributed to, "learn", a program
for interactive tutorials about Unix. It was never pushed very far--almost
certainly not into typing.

But the mention of typing brings to mind the inimitable Fred Grampp--he
who pioneered massive white-hat computer cracking. Fred's exploits justified
the opening sentence I wrote for Bell Labs' first computer-security task
force report, "It is easy and not very risky to pilfer data from Bell
Laboratories computers." Among Fred's many distinctive and endearing
quirks was the fact that he was a confirmed two-finger typist--proof that
typing technique is an insignificant factor in programmer productivity.

I thought this would be an excuse to tell another ftg story, but I
don't want to repeat myself and a search for "Grampp" in the tuhs archives
misses many that have already been told. Have the entries been lost or
is the index defective?

Doug