From: George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org>
To: Clem cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: TUHS <tuhs@minnie.tuhs.org>
Subject: Re: [TUHS] dmr streams & networking [was: Re: If not Linux, then what?]
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2019 10:18:36 +1000

I should add that in the UK the vaxes we run included "systime"
equipment: They got done for photocopying DEC boards and reselling
without licence fee, and for selling kit to the USSR.  They'd started
as a Vt100 seller. nice terminals.

Shame about the bad business practices. The headquarters was a
modernist building used for the BBC tv series "edge of darkness" and
did have the CEO's helicopter parked outside: he flew it when they
could afford the avgas.

-G

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 10:12 AM Clem cole <clemc@ccc.com> wrote:

> William That’s right. 4.1a supported at least these plus the original Xerox 3m card and I think a card MIT made for chaos and the protean card. iirc.  We had one of each of the production 10M Ethernet cards in the cad lab at UCB at some point.  The machine dec gave us had a dec card and that was the only dec card on campus so Sam would come over to my lab to test new OSses on that system.  UCB originally bought 3com cards (eventually in the cad group I got some early interlan cards from their ceo to test and I remember we liked them better for some reason I don’t remember). Before we had the 3COM based 10M link, we had couple of 3M Xerox cards on the original link back to Evans hall.
>
> The Xerox cards were used with the BBN tcp before 4.1a.  Eric cooper brought all that up with Sam and Bob Kriddle Iirc.
>
> That was all switched to the 3com cards pretty early to get 10M and Early after 4.1a and I do remember sam and I had used all that to debug Routed as we had the CAD Ethernet in Cory Hall, the back link to Evans and another Ethernet in the Evans machine room.
>
> Sent from my PDP-7 Running UNIX V0 expect things to be almost but not quite.
>
> > On Aug 28, 2019, at 6:36 PM, William Pechter <pechter@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I could've sworn 4.x BSD supported Micom Internan NI1010 or some other early
> > ethernet like 3com as well as the DEC boards.
> >
> > Anyone have the 4.1 or 4.2 BSD docs handy.  Mine are boxed away for safe keeping.
> >
> >> On 8/28/2019 6:29 PM, George Michaelson wrote:
> >> This is an object lesson in not making assumptions about things. I had
> >> always assumed the V in UNIX 32V stood for something which went to
> >> demand paging, from 'Virtual Addressing'. Turns out: I was wrong.
> >>
> >> One other note about sockets: The original 4.2 port had to be used by
> >> a lot of people without the ethernet, because we didn't have the DEC
> >> ethernet card it was written to. This made unix domain sockets very
> >> interesting because you could test in them. Except: the very first
> >> test program somebody wrote at Leeds university to create and write to
> >> a unix domain socket in /tmp crashed the vax. ... (this was around
> >> 1982/3) -We were warned off using sockets until the first patch tape
> >> came in the post.

  reply index