The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: George Michaelson <ggm@algebras.org>
To: Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Research Datakit notes
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2022 08:40:57 +1000	[thread overview]

I did an analysis of the DFZ with Emile Aben at RIPE. There may be a
million now, but at least half of these are TE and functionally
irrelevant to 90%+ of the rest of the BGP speakers, being aimed at
immediate peers only.

If we renumbered, the count of real announcements becomes very much
smaller, close to the count of ASN, modulo some necessary
unaggegatable outcomes.

Geoff has done work on this too, the ratio between noisy speakers and
the stable speakers appear to be constants modulo natural growth.
(Geoff says hello btw)

-G