That "someone" was Steve Bourne. At least, the version he handed me when I built up the v8 shell was from him and clean of ELIFs. -rob On Sat, Dec 31, 2022 at 7:50 AM Ron Natalie wrote: > I was just happy when VR2 came out and found someone had undone all > those macros that were in the original code. > I hacked Berkeley Job Control as well as command line editing into it > (KSH hadn’t seen the light of day outside the labs at that point). > I subsequently had a nice talk with Korn at a USENIX. I also sat down > with a couple of the guys trying to implement their own shell > independent of the ATT code and explained to them how Berkeley job > control works. It’s for that reason my name shows up in a lot of the > early Linux docs. > > Amusingly, I’d forgotten all about this stuff until one day I was > sitting at a MIPS workstation (MIPS branded, not the DEC spim). > Without thinking about it, I typed “fg” at the shell prompt. > > “Job control not Enabled,” it said. Hey! That sounds like one of my > messages. “set -J” I type. “Job control enabled.” > Hey! This is a “Ron shell” as it was known at BRL. Turns out it went > out on the Mach distros so I’ve found it on all kinds of things like the > NeXT etc… > > > ------ Original Message ------ > From "Sven Mascheck" > To tuhs@tuhs.org > Date 12/30/2022 3:20:28 PM > Subject [TUHS] Re: A few comments on porting the Bourne shell > > >Chet Ramey on 30.12.2022 20:51: > >>Arnold Robbins built on that work and ported the v8-v10 shells to modern > >>Linux versions. (I am sorry, I do not have a link right now.) > > > >And btw, 8th ed (http://man.cat-v.org/unix_8th/1/sh) even added a simple > history mechanism with the "=(1)" command ( > https://www.in-ulm.de/~mascheck/bourne/v8/=.html). > > > >Sven > > >