Plan 9 had the distinct advantage of a constant system interface at the source level. X11 did not, but it also made essentially no attempt to abstract it away, so the lines starting #ifdef often outnumbered the actual code. I couldn't make hide nor hair of it, and had no way to reliably test any change. C with #ifdefs is not portable, it is a collection of 2^n overlaid programs, where n is the number of distinct #if[n]def tags. It's too bad the problems of that approach were not appreciated by the C standard committee, who mandated the #ifndef guard approach that I'm sure could count as a provable billion dollar mistake, probably much more. The cost of building #ifdef'ed code, especially with C++, which decided to be more fine-grained about it, is unfathomable. Google alone might well count for many millions of dollars in wasted compilation equipment. I remember giving a Plan 9 demo to someone soon after I got to Google. None of the features of the system were of interest. The thing that astounded my audience was the ability to build the kernel on a P90 in 20 seconds or so, and the window system in under 3. At that time, a build of a Google server would require hours on a large distcc cluster. I still shudder to think of it. It's worse now, of course, far worse, but Google has far larger clusters to handle it and some improvement in tooling. However, the #ifdefs persist. Tom Cargill warned Bjarne about this around 1984, but the plea fell on deaf ears. -rob On Mon, Feb 28, 2022 at 12:07 PM Douglas McIlroy < douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote: > > The X11 tree was a heavily ifdef-ed. And it needed to be, I don't have > > an answer as to how you would reuse all that code on different hardware > > in a better way. > > Plan 9 did it with #include. The name of the included file was the same for > every architecture. Only the search path for include files changed. Done > with > care, this eliminates the typical upfront #ifdefs.that define constants > and set > flags. > > Other preprocessor conditionals can usually be replaced by a regular if, > letting > the compiler optimize away the unwanted alternative. This makes > conditionals > obey the scope rules of C. > > Doug >