Readline and job control were less compelling when you had multiple command windows of editable typescript, which we all had with the Blit. -rob On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 2:46 AM wrote: > Dan Cross wrote: > > > Geoff Collyer wrote a nice paper about experiences porting the 9th > Edition > > shell to SunOS 3 on the 68k some years ago. > > http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/sh.tour.pdf > > > > There is a copy of source code on his personal web page: > > http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/ > > > > I wonder if any of the 8th edition shell changes you mentioned survived > in > > that code? > > It took less than 10 minutes to get it to compile under Linux. 'whatis' > is there, although the pretty printing of function code leaves > much to be desired. > > Lacking is both readline and job control. > > Arnold >