I think it was slightly later. I joined mid-1980 and VAXes to replace the 11/70 were being discussed but had not arrived. We needed to convert a lab into a VAX machine room and decide between BSD and Reiser, all of which happened in the second half of 1980. Reiser Unix got demand paging a little later, and it was spectacularly fast. I remember being gobsmacked when I saw a demo in early 1981. Dead ends everywhere. -rob On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 3:57 AM Doug McIlroy wrote: > > > How long was research running on a PDP-11 and when did they move to a > VAX? > > London and Reiser had ported Unix to the VAX, replete with virtual memory, > in 1978. By the time v7 was released (1979), Vaxen had become the workhorse > machines in Research. > > Doug >