In the v8 shell, the "whatis" command's output is all parseable by the shell to recreate the item being identified. For instance, "whatis HOME" would print HOME=/usr/rob while "whatis cd" would print builtin cd and so on. I failed to convince POSIX or other forces to adopt this, and to this day remain puzzled why people couldn't see its value, even though of course not having an editable typescript does limit the flexibility somewhat. Plan 9 happened soon after. -rob On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 12:22 AM Tom Ivar Helbekkmo via TUHS wrote: > Jon Steinhart writes: > > > Wow! Small programs that do one thing and do it well connected together > to > > do more complicated things? What an awesome idea :-) > > *grin* > > Sometimes people call it "screen scraping", and seem to think it's wrong > to desire parseable output from commands. I like to point them at this: > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tc4ROCJYbm0&t=358 > > -tih > -- > Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance > of Lisp. Lisp is the most important idea in computer science. --Alan Kay >