The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Rob Pike <robpike@gmail.com>
To: Clem Cole <clemc@ccc.com>
Cc: segaloco via TUHS <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Re: Fifth Edition Manual Restoration
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 07:48:26 +1100	[thread overview]

I had an idea. I asked Tom Duff, Mike Tilson, Bill Reeves to help me put
together tools and font digitizations to "print" nroff output to the
Versatec plotter one weekend in early 1978. Ron Baecker, their adviser,
came in Monday morning furious that they had been hacking instead of
working on their thesis. When he saw what we were doing, his tone changed
completely and he asked if he could use it to send out a grant application
he was working on. I used it for my 4th year optics thesis, which caused my
prof to say I had obviously plagiarized it from somewhere, because there
was otherwise no way to produce something that looked like that (Xeroxed
Versatec paper). I had to work hard to convince him I had not cheated.

Later that year we, mostly Bill, coupled it to troff, along with some
digitized fonts, and it went out on the Toronto tapes, with our names on
it. For many years I saw evidence in scientific papers of people using
Bill's digitization of the Bodoni fonts.

This is where it gets interesting.

Berkeley took it, tweaked it some - improved it yes, but it was
substantially our code - and shipped it out, with our names removed and
"Copyright the Regents of the University of California" across the top. I
was seriously pissed but there was really nothing I could do about it.
Years later I finally asked Joy about it, and his unapologetic answer was
their lawyers didn't want our names on their software so they dropped them.

When Dennis Ritchie and Greg Chesson - together, yikes - were interviewing
me for my job at Bell Labs, Dennis, holding my resume, asked why I had had
worked on Versatec support for nroff and troff when Berkeley had already
done it. I believe the force of my reply helped convince them I was worth
hiring.

Years later, bless him, Henry Spencer said something on Usenet explaining
why the "Berkeley typesetting software" was missing the names of those who
created it. He was in the lab that weekend and saw it happen.

-rob