I was told it's IBMese: Define Dataset. -rob On Mon, Sep 16, 2024 at 2:01 PM Adam Thornton wrote: > You know, this is a place that might actually be able to provide a > definitive answer to me. A brief web search found me asking the same > question in 1995. > > When I were a wee lad, I was told `dd` was short for `do DEBE`, which, > while obviously referencing a well-known movie about a Northern Texas > sports team and their most enthusiastic fan, also referred to the mainframe > software whose name was an acronym for `Does Everything But Eat` and whose > function was to copy data across sources with very different blocking and > representation conventions...which is kinda what `dd` does. > > Can anyone here confirm or deny that origin for the utility's name? > > Adam > > On Sun, Sep 15, 2024 at 3:36 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > >> On Mon, Sep 16, 2024 at 08:15:34AM +1000, Rob Pike wrote: >> > For me the fascinating thing about dd is that people tended to use the >> JCL >> > notation for its arguments even after the Unix style was made available. >> > That is, people prefer "dd if=foo" rather than "dd -if foo" or even the >> > obviously easiest "dd > >> Muscle memory. dd is weird but you sort of get used to it and then just >> do it how you always have. >> >