And neither does go. fmt.Print(x) prints x, using its default format, which is not coincidentally available in Printf as %v. -rob On Sat, Aug 5, 2023 at 7:17 AM Douglas McIlroy < douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote: > > Most of the time I'd rather not have to care whether the thing > > I'm printing is a string, or a pointer, or an integer, or whatever: > > I just want to see its value. > > > Go has %v for exactly this. It's very nice for debugging. > > Why so verbose? In Basic, PRINT required no formatting directives at all. > > Doug >