The phrase disappeared from the manuals at some point. I might have committed the offense myself: The Research Unix manuals all continue the phrase, but the Plan 9 ones say: ED(1) ED(1) NAME ed - text editor SYNOPSIS ed [ - ] [ -o ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION Ed is a venerable text editor. I likely made the "venerable" substitution. I regret that now. Ed is the standard editor. -rob On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 10:53 AM Steve Nickolas wrote: > On Wed, 10 Mar 2021, Rob Pike wrote: > > > I'm curious when people (other than me) erred and stopped saying that ed > > was the standard editor. > > > > -rob > > > > I actually use that expression in somewhat unorthodox ways. ;) > > Like "CDE is the standard desktop environment like ed is the standard text > editor." (I still consider both to be true even though about no one uses > either anymore.) > > -uso. >