I had forgotten about that tool, along with many others. "Comp" sounds plausible but as I said, I forget. (Not a sign of age; my memory for details is no match for Clem's; to me stage actors are superheroes). I do remember the tool existing, though, and now see it as related to a long list of similar things, including "go generate". I wonder if my subconscious held on to it. This history stuff is fun because of the reminder of a time when tools were simple and you could create a whole new one in an afternoon. -rob On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 6:26 AM Norman Wilson wrote: > Rob Pike: > > Yeah, p is all we need. I think it originated with td at UofT. I might > have > brought it with me to Bell Labs, or recreated it. Probably the former. > > ==== > > The former, I think. The source code in V10 is very similar > to that you left behind at Caltech (where I first encountered > p). Most differences have to do with using opendir and readdir > rather than reading raw directories in the SPname code. > > A further clue is that, even in V10, p.c begins > > /*%cc p.c pad.o spname.o > */ > > The tool that looked for such lines to tell it how to compile > things (I forget its name; was it comp?) doesn't seem to have > survived in the archival backup I have from Caltech HEP, but > I'm quite sure it came from U of T as well. > > Norman Wilson > Toronto ON >