From: Rob Pike <firstname.lastname@example.org>
To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <email@example.com>
Subject: [TUHS] v8 shell
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2023 18:38:03 +1100 [thread overview]
Message-ID: <CAKzdPgyEysMDym0HnqAiG_2--YrMHg671B9CQq6=KuQZQC2u_w@mail.gmail.com> (raw)
[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain, Size: 804 bytes --]
Found this tweetstream, here folded together, when looking for something
else (now lost) in my twitter archive:
Things I miss from the v8 shell.
1) All shell output was valid shell input.
2) Typing dir/cmd would find the command $PATH/dir/cmd. Subdirectories of
your bin, in other words.
3) Functions were exportable. For one brief shining POSIX meeting, that was
true in POSIX too but then...
4) The implementation was lovely and easy to understand. (No, it wasn't
shalgol. Bourne fixed that for us.)
5) That I could learn things from it, like how to write a recursive descent
6) It ran in cooked mode.
As expected, all that work making it a great shell is lost to history.
https://t.co/IzApAUSmzN is silent. Well, the code is released now.
[-- Attachment #2: Type: text/html, Size: 2024 bytes --]
next reply other threads:[~2023-01-22 7:39 UTC|newest]
Thread overview: 7+ messages / expand[flat|nested] mbox.gz Atom feed top
2023-01-22 7:38 Rob Pike [this message]
2023-01-22 14:52 ` [TUHS] " arnold
2023-01-23 14:45 ` [TUHS] Re: Cooked Mode (v8 shell) Brian M Zick
2023-01-23 14:49 ` Chet Ramey
2023-01-23 15:51 ` Theodore Ts'o
2023-01-23 15:53 ` Chet Ramey
2023-01-23 20:40 ` Marc Donner
You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:
* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
and reply-to-all from there: mbox
Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
switches of git-send-email(1):
git send-email \
* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
via mailto: links, try the mailto: link
Be sure your reply has a Subject: header at the top and a blank line
before the message body.
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).