Found this tweetstream, here folded together, when looking for something else (now lost) in my twitter archive: ========== Things I miss from the v8 shell. 1) All shell output was valid shell input. 2) Typing dir/cmd would find the command $PATH/dir/cmd. Subdirectories of your bin, in other words. 3) Functions were exportable. For one brief shining POSIX meeting, that was true in POSIX too but then... 4) The implementation was lovely and easy to understand. (No, it wasn't shalgol. Bourne fixed that for us.) 5) That I could learn things from it, like how to write a recursive descent parser.* 6) It ran in cooked mode. As expected, all that work making it a great shell is lost to history. https://t.co/IzApAUSmzN is silent. Well, the code is released now. ========== -rob * elegantly.