To make chaining of calls simpler. Write f()->g()->h()->i() the other way and you'll see why Bjarne asked for the shorthand. -rob On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 11:12 PM Noel Chiappa wrote: > > From: Rob Pike > > > Convenient though the shorthand may be, it always bothered me as > > inconsistent and misleading. > > As someone who made very extensive use of procedure pointers (most notably > in > upcalls, which never caught on, alas), I couldn't agree more. > > Two very different things are happenging, but with the shorthand notation, > they share an identical representation. And for what? To save three > characters? > > Noel > >