Well, if you're sharing educational bootstrapping stories, Heinz, if I remember right you were the first person I saw in person from Bell Labs, when you gave a talk at the University of Toronto about Bell's work on ARPANET around 1977. -rob On Wed, Dec 14, 2022 at 4:08 PM Heinz Lycklama wrote: > Jon, I found the documentation for SNAP and FSNAP > which both ran on the DDP-516 multiprogramming > operating system. Both documents were written in > the summer/fall of 1970, and the FSNAP language > is based on SNAP programming language, but I'm not > sure if this SNAP language was the same as the one > you used on the PDP-8. I'll send you the two documents > in a separate email so you can tell if the two SNAP's > are one and the same. We are talking 52 years ago now. > Let's see if you can remember. > > Heinz > > P.S. Coincidentally I learned much of my system level > programming on a PDP-8 computer during my > student graduate days in the late 1960's. > > > > On 12/13/2022 9:14 AM, Jon Steinhart wrote: > > Wow, this brings back memories. When I was a kid I remember visiting > > a guy who had a barn full of computers in or around Princeton, N.J. > > There was a Burroughs 500, a PB 250, and a PDP-8. The 500 was a vacuum > > tube and nixie display machine. That sucker used a lot of neon, and I > > seem to remember that it used about $100 worth of electricity in 1960s > > dollars just to warm it up. I think that the PB 250 was one of the > > first machines built using transistors. I assume that all of you know > > what a PDP-8 is. I remember using the PDP-8 using SNAP (simple numeric > > arithmetic processor) to crank out my math homework. Note that the PB > > 250 also had SNAP, but in that case it was their assembler. > > > > Some of the first serious programming that I did was later at BTL on > > 516-TSS using FSNAP (floating-point SNAP) written by Heinz. Maybe he > > can fill us in on whether it was derived from SNAP. > > > > Anyway, I could only visit the place occasionally because it was far > > from home. Does anyone else out there know anything about it? It's a > > vague memory brought back by the mention of the 250. > > > > Jon > >