I've long been fascinated by the prevalence of cat file | process and think of it as a sort of triumph of the model. Pipes are more natural than redirection as a human interface. -rob On Fri, Dec 4, 2020 at 11:30 AM Dave Horsfall wrote: > On Thu, 3 Dec 2020, Larry McVoy wrote: > > > Wasn't there a version that was > > > > cat whatever ^ wc -l > > Sort of pipe-related, but one thing that really gets my goat is the > inefficient redundancy in "cat file | process" when "process < file" will > suffice (and I'll bet that I'm not alone). > > And yes, "^" preceded "|" for reasons discussed later in this thread. > > -- Dave >