It was likely me, as I did a lot of work on the program, but I don't claim that I was the one. There is a db (the Plan 9 derivation of adb) in plan9port, but it struggles with modern binaries. -rob On Tue, Feb 22, 2022 at 5:00 AM Norman Wilson wrote: > Rob Pike: > > I did the same to adb, which turned out to have a really good debugger > hidden under a few serious bugs of its own, which I fixed. > > ===== > > Memories. > > Was it you who replaced ptrace with /proc in adb, or did I do that? > > I do remember I was the one who took ptrace out of sdb (which a > few 1127-ers, or perhaps 112-ers on alice and rabbit still used). > After which I removed ptrace from the kernel, and from the > copy of the V8 manual in the UNIX room. Conveniently ptrace > occupied two facing pages; I glued them together. > > I also later did some work to try to isolate the target-dependent > parts of adb and to make them work in host-independent ways--e.g. > assembling ints byte-by-byte rather than assuming byte order--to > make it easier to make a cross adb, e.g. to examine PDP-11 or > 68K core dumps on a VAX. > > I miss adb; maybe it's time to revive it, though these days I'd > be tempted to rewrite it in Python so I could just load the right > module at runtime to pick the desired target. > > Norman Wilson > Toronto ON >