In Plan 9 we made /dev/tty (there called /dev/cons) fully virtual, a fiction that provided the semantics. I agree that it's a pity the /dev/tty kludge persists as a kernel hack. And then we have pttys, speaking of pitys. -rob On Mon, Jan 30, 2023 at 6:50 PM wrote: > > > Where this is done is, as I posted earlier, in /etc/init. Init > opens the > > > tty device and dups it to 1 and then invokes either the shell (if > we're in > > > single user mode) or getty for interactive mode. > > > This was done in V6 and PWB (1). In V7, init added a second dup for > file > > > descriptor 2. > > What I really like is how in V8 - V10 /dev/tty was a (sym)link to > /dev/fd/3, > and init simply did one more dup call. That eliminated the special tty > device > driver and was a lovely generalization / simplification. It's too bad this > was never picked in the commercial Unixes or in Linux. > > Arnold >