If you never ring the bell in the editor, the issue never comes up, the code is simpler, and there's less to understand. -rob On Fri, Apr 8, 2022 at 8:33 AM George Michaelson wrote: > I also had extreme WTF the first time I looked in code and saw an > isatty() guard over some activity. > > "this program processes stdin to stdout, except.. if I decide > otherwise" never appeared in man pages. > > But that said, it sort of made sense. Why ring bell in an editor, if > you know the input pipe side can't hear it? A tty is a rather strange > device being the join over stdout, stdin and stderr, and there is a > (tiny?) set of things which need to know. > > more for instance, probably needs to know that waiting for a command > to move pagination onward if there is no controlling terminal is not > sensible. If you want your input in chunks, more is not the way to do > it. > > I hate special cases. This is why people say english is so hard to > learn but really all languages have them, its just that english having > stolen words from everywhere has more instances of isatty() than > others. > > -G >