The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: akosela@andykosela.com (Andy Kosela)
Subject: [TUHS] A repository with 44 years of Unix evolution gets the MSR '15 Best Data Showcase Award
Date: Tue, 19 May 2015 22:07:50 -0500	[thread overview]

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:55 PM,  <cowan at ccil.org> wrote:
> Clem Cole scripsit:
>
>> NetBSD wanted to take the CRSG token make a solid system for research that
>> ran everywhere - i.e. lots of different target HW - 68K many different
>> vendors, Vax, Power, sparc, much less x86.  In fact, they would take back
>> from FreeBSD a lot of the 386 work eventually.
>
> The Hannum interview says that portability wasn't the focus in the *very*
> beginning, and that getting NetBSD running on different architectures
> was because they had a lot of different architectures around.  So it
> was making a virtue of what started out as necessity.

In the *very* beginning Hannum wasn't even there to testify about it.
NetBSD was basically a project of Chris Demetriou (what is he doing
these days?) with the help of Theo, who made the second commit to the
tree.

And Warner is right about FreeBSD beginnings.  There was a lot of
personalities clashes in those early days.  I still believe that if we
were able to come up with one project instead of three, *BSD would be
much more successful and would displace Linux easily in the server
market.

--Andy