On Saturday, September 1, 2018, Steve Mynott wrote: > > > On Wed, 29 Aug 2018 at 15:53, Larry McVoy wrote: > > The BSDs have a less than optimal VM system. Having SunOS opened up >> would at least let people see what they are missing. Maybe I have >> rose colored glasses on but it was the only kernel that came into >> focus for me and you could see the architecture from the code. >> Everything else seems like a mess to me. >> > > That may have been true in the late 80s and even early 90s but I'd have > thought FreeBSD, NetBSD and OpenBSD would have useable VMs by now. > > I've vague recollections that these all originally used the VM from Mach > which did have problems at first. > > I recall a more knowledgeable friend complaining about FreeBSD VM in 1994 > or so. > > I think the latter two use UVM and FreeBSD improved their Mach one (which > has a SunOS kvmish API anyway). I've not seen complaints about modern BSD. > > Wasn't the whole FreeBSD VM rewritten by John Dyson and David Greenman in the mid-late 90's? And then further improved by Matthew Dillon. Unfortunately they are not affiliated with the project anymore. All three had exceptional coding skills. --Andy