On Thursday, January 26, 2023, segaloco via TUHS wrote: > We benefit from a general culture of openness surrounding UNIX these > days. We see no such openness from Nintendo, Sega, Sony, nor Microsoft in > their video game offerings, neither current nor former, and similar for > publishers and studios for the most part. Anecdotally, when SquareEnix > went to reissue Final Fantasy 8, they had to rewrite it from scratch as the > original PS1 source code had been lost. Apparently this is a pretty common > problem plaguing efforts to roll older titles forward to modern systems, > and is one of the reasons shoddy emulation seems to win out over > intentional ports of anything. > > UNIX experienced the rather unique phenomenon of being able to grow legs > in academia for many years before some legal types tried to put the kibosh > on that. Super Mario Bros. was a closed code base from day 1 with a tight > deadline and little to no reason for it to be shared outside of its own > development group. The circumstances are just so wildly different. UNIX > is a bit of an anomaly as far as being an iconic, ubiquitous, still > appreciated design that succeeds in academic *and* commercial spheres and > also has ample source code and documentation history not only available but > not constantly being torpedoed by lawyers. I don't know that we'll see a > willingness to open up the history of video game development like that in a > timeframe that sensitive source codes and documents could still be properly > preserved. > > Plus, to the defense of these studios, some algorithm or technique > developed for management of game resources may still be very much relevant > to modern engine designs in ways that OS code from the 70s simply wouldn't > even have a place in modern design. I wouldn't be surprised if there are > scene graph and asset manager algorithms and such down in, say, the Zelda > 64 engine, that the big N is *still* using in comparable engines and > considers a trade secret. Hard to say. But anywho, just to draw some > comparisons to the preservation state of UNIX vs other technological > innovations. We have decades of quality OS code to study, research, and > expand upon as hackers, but we have no such wealth of real video game > source codes to educate the masses on game design, especially embedded > console/bare metal approaches. This is where the crossroads lies for me > between my UNIX and game development interests, I would LOVE some day for > there to be as accessible and quality of resources for those studying the > history of game design/development as there are for those studying OS > design. After all, the way I describe old games to people in a technical > sense is its just a specific type of OS. That programmer had to abstract > all that hardware into concepts like button triggers movement of VDP > scrollplanes and emission of commands to the FM synth chip. The thing > you're using is just a Dpad instead of a mouse and you're moving a silly > little character instead of a window across the screen. > > The closest I can think of in the game industry to the open source community of Unix/Linux is Doom/Quake. Doom source code was opened in 1997 and Quake in 1999 and since then we have experienced a whole generation of programmers and artists playing with, porting and enhancing the codebase. I don't know of any other game development project that has as much longevity as those two; and all of it happened because John Carmack made the decision to open source it based on the popularity of open source Linux at the time. --Andy