There have been case study courses here and there over the years. I would argue that Lyons’s book of sources was the text for one. An old crony, Ed Smith, used to teach a comparative programming languages course back in the day. And I know someone at NYU taught a course where people studied the source code of a variety of utilities. ===== nygeek.net mindthegapdialogs.com/home On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 11:27 AM Vincenzo Nicosia wrote: > On Wed, Jul 03, 2024 at 02:51:01PM +1000, sjenkin@canb.auug.org.au wrote: > > I???ve never heard of a Computer Science or Software Engineering program > > that included a ???case study??? component, especially for Software > Development & Projects. > > > > MBA programs feature an emphasis on real-world ???case studies???, to > learn from successes & failures, > > to give students the possibility of not falling into the same traps. > > > > Creating Unix V6, because it profoundly changed computing & development, > > would seem an obvious Case Study for many aspects of Software, Coding > and Projects. > > > > I personally believe that the comparison of "mainstream" software > development principles and the birth and development of projects like > Unix, Linux, or any other major successful free software project is > fundamentally flawed. > > The programmers considered as "fungible workforce" by mainstream > software engineering and project management theories are *paid* to to > their programming job, and they mostly have to carry that job over > working on prescribed objectives and timelines which have been decided > by somebody else, managers who know nothing at all about software > development. Personal interest in the project, passion, motivation, > curiosity, creative power, sense of beauty, the joy of belonging to a > community of likeminded people, are never part of the equation, at any > point. > > Remove one of those latter ingredients from Unix, Linux, or any other > major successful free/open source software project, and that project > would have not existed, at all. > > I think it would be terribly misleading to teach young CS students that > software projects should be managed "as Unix v6 came to life". They will > never, ever find anything even close to that environment in a > professional workplace. We should tell them that some of the most > beautiful software projects ever crafted by humans did not come out of > the "professionalism churches" that the overwhelming majority of > software companies are nowadays, based on the blind application of > "mainstream" software development and project management principles, > according to which they (the CS majors) are just "as fungible and > replaceable as a chair, or a wallpaper". That would be only true and > fair to tell them. > > I don't know if that would be of any avail to them, but at least we do > not mislead them in thinking that their paid programming time will > actually change the world in any meaningful way..... > > My2cents > > Enzo Nicosia > > -- >