Fascinating. When I left IBM Research to become a grad student at CMU (1981) the Unix CS was running did not have history in the shell. It had just been introduced in VM/CMS and I loved it. I nagged the sysadmins in the CS department about it, and voila, it appeared shortly thereafter. I presume it was one of the things discussed here ported to the CMU environment. I remember that I implemented history for the shell in the PERQ, doing some nasty stuff to fit a reasonable history length in the weird Pascal they had, since Pascal didn’t have dynamic strings or real pointers. Marc ===== On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 10:59 PM Larry McVoy wrote: > On Fri, Dec 30, 2022 at 05:08:42PM -0700, Luther Johnson wrote: > > I use csh (tcsh) and bash at the command line, but straight Bourne shell > > language is preferred and recommended by many for shell programming, I > used > > to use csh for that and got bitten by all the things that I later > > discovered, those in the know had been warning about for years. Also, > > "bash-isms", syntactic sugary things in bash had led me to use them as a > > crutch, my scripts got simpler and more to the point when I re-wrote them > > for Bourne shell language only. That was my experience. I think we'll > always > > have some kind of Bourne shell as the script workhorse, at last in > > Linux/Unix start-up and other blood and guts stuff. > > When I was running my engineering team I was strict about Bourne syntax > and features only. I got pushed on like crazy because "bash has this > $GOODNESS whhhhhhhy can't we use it". Because we were supporting our > product on pretty much every unix and if it wasn't HP-UX that had an > ancient /bin/sh, it was AIX or whoever. > > Over and over, I won the "straight bourne shell only" battle. So I agree, > if you want /bin/sh to work, Bourne shell for the win. > > For a login shell, bash is my shell of choice. It's bloated but I'm > typing this on a 5 year old Lenova X1 Carbon with 16GB of memory and > 4 cores and it's fine. It was fine a 133mhz Pentium. > -- ===== nygeek.net mindthegapdialogs.com/home