Let's add: 0 - The two endpoints of a network connection may be (and usually are) under independent control from one another. ===== nygeek.net mindthegapdialogs.com/home On Sun, Jul 3, 2022 at 4:32 PM Marc Donner wrote: > On June 28 Rob Pike wrote: > > "One of the reasons I'm not a networking expert may be relevant here. With > networks, I never found an abstraction to hang my hat on. Unlike with file > systems and files, or even Unix character devices, which provide a level of > remove from the underlying blocks and sectors and so on, the Unix > networking interface always seemed too low-level and fiddly, analogous to > making users write files by managing the blocks and sectors themselves." > > I've been ruminating on the question of whether networks are different > from disks (and other devices). Here are a couple of observations: > > 1 - Two different packets may take two different paths from the sender to > the receiver. > > 1a - The transit time for one packet may vary widely from that of the > other. > > 1b - The two packets may arrive in an order different from the order in > which they were transmitted. > > (Note - recently I have been reading Bob Gezelter's monograph [and PhD > dissertation] and I've learned that modern high-performance disk systems > behave more like networks in 1a and 1b.) > > 2 - A packet may never arrive. > > 3 - Behavior 2 not a sign of hard failure for networks, whereas it is > generally considered so for other I/O devices. > > There is probably more to why networks are weird, but these are some of > the big dissonances that seem to me to make Rob's comment resonate so > loudly to me. > > Best, > > Marc > ===== > nygeek.net > mindthegapdialogs.com/home >