Totally correct - in the words of the immortal Beatles - "Strings is all you need." ===== nygeek.net mindthegapdialogs.com/home On Mon, Jun 10, 2024 at 3:40 PM Steffen Nurpmeso wrote: > Marc Donner wrote in > : > |The architectural alternative to powershell-style extension has been > around > |in various guises for a while. In particular things like TCL and Lua are > |engineered to be add-on extension languages. Integrating them just > |involves adding a few callouts (dispatch a “program”, scan directories > in a > |designated “path” for programs, render internal structures into text). > | > |This style of design has been around for a long time - all Unix shells, > |EMacs, many video games. > | > |It enables an elegant approach to performance management - build it first > |as a script and only reimplement it as a binary if needed. > | > |Doing this enables automation, but it does require the designers and > |product managers to want automation. > > Let me be the one who feed the silent head shakers with the > Rob Pike quote "[just] make it strings". > > Of course lua hooks are faster, and i am looking forward myself, > but other than that textual input/output communication with > a program is language-neutral and somehow humanic. > > So now the time has come to point to an influential -- for me -- > manual from 2001, that goes into assembler programming for x86: > > https://docs.freebsd.org/en/books/developers-handbook/x86/ > > And there you read things like > > A.12. One-Pointed Mind > > As a student of Zen, I like the idea of a one-pointed mind: Do > one thing at a time, and do it well. > > This, indeed, is very much how UNIX® works as well. While > a typical Windows® application is attempting to do everything > imaginable (and is, therefore, riddled with bugs), a typical > UNIX® program does only one thing, and it does it well. > > The typical UNIX® user then essentially assembles his own > applications by writing a shell script which combines the > various existing programs by piping the output of one program to > the input of another. > > When writing your own UNIX® software, it is generally a good > idea to see what parts of the problem you need to solve can be > handled by existing programs, and only write your own programs > for that part of the problem that you do not have an existing > solution for. > > And going over > > A.13.2. Excursion to Pinhole Photography > > we come to the > > A.13.3.1. Processing Program Input > > which was a stunning read for me (the 15+ years before i came via > Commodore 64 and its Basic, over Windows 3.1 and Windows 95 and, > alongside, DOS, later 4DOS (then perl etc.)), because when doing > really, really important things like calculating the cubic > capacity of ones penis' in cubic millimeters (to end up with large > numbers, say), i would never have thought by myself that the > program accept and parse running text! (There you see that > something "big" can actually be pretty "small" indeed.) > > Personally, I like to keep it simple. Something either is > a number, so I process it. Or it is not a number, so I discard > it. I do not like the computer complaining about me typing in an > extra character when it is obvious that it is an extra > character. Duh. > > Plus, it allows me to break up the monotony of computing and > type in a query instead of just a number: > > What is the best pinhole diameter for the focal length of 150? > > There is no reason for the computer to spit out a number of complaints: > > Syntax error: What > Syntax error: is > Syntax error: the > Syntax error: best > > Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. > > And this (assembler!) then goes to > > % pinhole > > Computer, > > What size pinhole do I need for the focal length of 150? > 150 490 306 362 2930 12 > Hmmm... How about 160? > 160 506 316 362 3125 12 > Let's make it 155, please. > 155 498 311 362 3027 12 > Ah, let's try 157... > 157 501 313 362 3066 12 > 156? > 156 500 312 362 3047 12 > That's it! Perfect! Thank you very much! > ^D > > which is not even handled by GNU getopt with its > argument-resorting behaviour! > But it is likely that you all do not need that no more anyway, > since you likely just speak out (silently at "Hal" level) "Hey > computer bla bla", and the AI does the rest itself. > > --steffen > | > |Der Kragenbaer, The moon bear, > |der holt sich munter he cheerfully and one by one > |einen nach dem anderen runter wa.ks himself off > |(By Robert Gernhardt) >