Back in the mid-to-late 1980s I was the ringleader of the UNIX underground at IBM Research. Interestingly, we were for a couple of years the largest non-academic customer for Sun Microsystems on the east coast of the US. When IBM bought ROLM, a maker of telephone equipment, they were confronted with ROLM's insistence on using Sun equipment (and UNIX in general) for their software development. So a stream of IBM executives made their way to my office in Yorktown Heights to try to figure out whether this demand was for real. I would show them my development environment (emacs and make plus a bunch of ancillary tools) and demonstrate how I could edit code, build, test, and debug quickly and smoothly. After half a dozen VPs came through, they agreed and placed a large order with Sun for ROLM. That might have helped the business case for a better AIX, but I'm not sure. ===== nygeek.net mindthegapdialogs.com/home On Wed, Jul 3, 2024 at 7:35 PM G. Branden Robinson < g.branden.robinson@gmail.com> wrote: > At 2024-07-03T08:59:11-0600, Marc Rochkind wrote: > > Steve Jenkin suggests: "Developers of Initial Unix arguably were > > 10x-100x more productive than IBM OS/360..." > > > > Indeed, this is part of accepted UNIX lore. > > That claim reminds me of a more general one. Applied to software > development writ large, it seems to be lore, not a reproducible > scientific result. > > I refer of course to Sackman, Erickson, and Grant's 1968 CACM paper > which documented a DARPA experiment that found a productivity range of > 28:1 in their sample of programmers (with veterans of 7 years' > experience pitted against "trainees"). Naturally enough, plenty of > people who make claims about variance in programmer productivity are > unaware of this paper's existence; it's not actually relevant to them as > a source of knowledge. > > > https://web.archive.org/web/20120204023412/http://dustyvolumes.com/archives/497 > > Thomas Dickey, better known today as the maintainer of ncurses, xterm, > lynx, and mawk (all for 30 years or more, and among other projects), > published a critique of this study in 1981. > > > https://web.archive.org/web/20120204023555/http://dustyvolumes.com/archives/498 > > Bill Curtis published a critique of the Sackler et al. paper in 1988. > > I quote (via Dickey): > > "Sackman's ... message that substantial performance differences do exist > among programmers remains valid. Detecting a 20+:1 range ratio depends > upon having one brilliant and one horrid performance in a sample. > However the range ratio is not a particularly stable measure of > performance variability among programmers. The dispersions of such data > as appear in Table I are better represented by such measures as the > standard deviation or semiinterquartile range." > > https://invisible-island.net/personal/paperstuff.html > > We have likely all observed how this 28:1 ratio has bloated in retelling > over time, like the length of a fish catch, to 100:1 or even 1000:1. > Similarly we're all familiar with the common practice of presenting the > mean and sometimes the range of some data sample to support one's > argument, without mentioning the median or mode, let alone the variance > (or the standard deviation). (If a member of one's audience is familiar > with non-Gaussian distributions and inquires whether one's sample may be > better characterized by one, you invite them to disengage from the > discussion.) > > I assert that this "productivity gap" is a myth, and that it persists > because it serves the purposes of diverse audiences who adopt it with > motivated reasoning. > > 1. Immature Unix enthusiasts like to reassure themselves, and others > nearby, of their inherent superiority to rival programmers. > > 2. Managers like to contrive reasons for (not) promoting individual > contributors. It's easy to cite this productivity "statistic" and > then suggest, without indicating anything concrete, that an employee > is either a rock star or a mediocrity. > > 3. Directors in organizations like not having to further justify a > "stack-rank and cut" approach to reducing salary and benefits as a > proportion of operational expenditures. > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitality_curve > > 4. Business culture in general is deeply wedded to the idea that > individual productivity, merit, or capacity for "wealth creation" is > variable by several orders of magnitude, because this claim > "justifies" variance in compensation over a similarly large range, > even among college-educated professionals in an organization, > setting aside those members of staff whose collars shade more toward > blue. (Outsourcing is useful in increasing opacity, segregating > workers, and setting them up to have conflicting interests.) > > If people start applying their capacity for critical thought to the > proposition that the CEO is 40,000 times more productive than a > "Software Engineer II", nothing good will happen. > > _Is_ "productivity" among programmers, however defined and measured, > nonuniform? Likely yes. Has our industry studied the question in a > serious way, applying rigorous experimental design and statistical > analysis? Perhaps not. > > And if we did, would any of the people making this claim read or > comprehend the research if it didn't support their biases? > > You already know the answer. > > We utter myths about falsifiable propositions not because we care about > their truth values, but precisely because we don't. > > Regards, > Branden >