The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] dmr note on BSD's sins
@ 2017-05-01 17:25 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2017-05-01 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

OK, I recall a note dmr wrote probably in the late 70s/early 80s when folks
at UCB had (iirc) extended the symbol name size in C programs to
essentially unlimited. This followed on (iirc) file names going beyond 14
characters.

The rough outline was that dmr was calling out the revisions for being too
general, and the phrase "BSD sins" sticks in my head (sins as a verb).

I'm reminded of this by something that happened with some interns recently,
as they wanted to make something immensely complex to cover a case that
basically never happened. I was trying to point out that you can go
overboard on that sort of thing, and it would have been nice to have such a
quote handy -- anyone else remember it?

ron
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [TUHS] dmr note on BSD's sins
@ 2017-05-03  0:52 Doug McIlroy
From: Doug McIlroy @ 2017-05-03  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

With Steve's eloquent grump and cat -v on the table, I can't
help re-citing the peerless cardinal sin of
        less --help | wc

Doug

* [TUHS] dmr note on BSD's sins
@ 2017-05-03 13:41 Nemo
From: Nemo @ 2017-05-03 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 3 May 2017 at 09:09, Arthur Krewat <krewat at kilonet.net> wrote:
> Not to mention, you can cat multiple files - as in concatenate :)

Along these lines, who said "Cat went to Berkely, came back waving flags."

N.