On Fri, Jul 8, 2022 at 6:24 AM Douglas McIlroy < douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu> wrote: > The interpretation of a string of addresses separated by commas and/or > semicolons was already defined in the v1 man page for ed. > > Ed was essentially a stripped-down version of Multics qed. The latter > was originally > written by Ken. Unfortunately the "Multics Condensed Guide" online at > multicians.org describes how strings of addresses were interpreted > only by canonical examples for the various editing requests. > > I have no specific memory of semicolons in qed. I have a vague > recollection that semicolons originated in ed, however you should put > no trust in this. Maybe Ken remembers. > > Doug > String of addresses was same for qed and ed.