back to original title - manual humour. my favorite was in the "form" command. -- credit to mcilroy. "If one of the special characters [{]}\ is preceded by a \, it loses its special character." On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 11:50 AM Andy Kosela wrote: > On 3/10/21, Andreas Kusalananda Kähäri wrote: > > On Tue, Mar 09, 2021 at 06:51:56PM -0500, Steve Nickolas wrote: > >> On Wed, 10 Mar 2021, Rob Pike wrote: > >> > >> > I'm curious when people (other than me) erred and stopped saying that > >> > ed > >> > was the standard editor. > >> > > >> > -rob > >> > > >> > >> I actually use that expression in somewhat unorthodox ways. ;) > >> > >> Like "CDE is the standard desktop environment like ed is the standard > >> text > >> editor." (I still consider both to be true even though about no one uses > >> either anymore.) > >> > >> -uso. > > > > Hi, I'm "about no one". I use ed(1) every once in a while, both the > > way it was supposed to be used, i.e. interactively, and occasionally > > scripted on smaller documents. > > > > I'm soon 50. Having grown up with computers, and having spent most of > > my money as a student buying the next bigger and/or faster PC, I find > > that I nowadays enjoy smaller, slower systems and simpler editors more > > and more. Getting distracted by syntax highligting, confused by too > > complicated configurations... There is a certain beauty in the editing > > language of ed(1). It's minimalistic and restrictive, and therefore > > forces you to think, to remember, and to be creative. > > This comment resonates with me so much. I am enjoying these days > mostly retro systems too -- computers I grew up with. There is a > certain beauty in the term "less is more". And nothing is more > satisfying than sitting in front of a CRT terminal (either some real > terminal or PC) and working in a full screen text mode. No GUIs, no > distractions -- just pure conversation with a machine using only text. > That's UNIX for me. > > These days there have been a huge resurgence of various retro > communities around the world. There are still tons of new programs > and games being published for 8-bit micro's or Amiga's. Still it > appears the Unix community in general is not part of that movement. I > think TUHS is an exception and a haven for people who just prefer the > old ways. I find Unix these days too bloated and moved away from its > main core values: simplicity and minimalism. The hardware was much > simpler too back in the days. > > Long live the ed(1) and vi(1). > > --Andy >