Just chiming in a bit.. Rob, it might be interesting to old geezers like me as well as newbies entering the field to get a perspective on Plan 9 and its evolution. The motivations behind it. What your group was trying to accomplish, the approach, pitfalls and the entire decision making process as things went along. Even things that went horribly wrong and what happened etc. Sorry for my potential ignorance here, but other than the documents that come with the source code distribution, there does not seem to be any official textbook style document available with that level of detail going into the evolution and back story. I am thinking more in terms of the multics book that came out after that project failed. Perhaps even some college level tutorial videos on YouTube that do a deep dive. Leaving your group's collective wisdom and insight for prosperity. Anatomy of a Research Operating System. Approaching the Design of a modern day distributed Operating Systems, practices and pitfalls. (You can stop laughing 😃 now....) On Sun, Jun 19, 2022, 4:53 AM Rob Pike wrote: > Aha, yes, my mistake, sorry about that. I bet I misread that mail because > of the mention of a Sun port, which put me in a nostalgic (read: resentful) > mood. > > Anyway, knowing about the Plan 9 VAX kernel might be interesting, but the > kernel itself was not. > > -rob > > > On Sun, Jun 19, 2022 at 6:17 PM Angelo Papenhoff wrote: > >> I wasn't talking about Plan 9, but it's interesting to know that there >> was an attempt at a VAX kernel. >> >> On 19/06/22, Rob Pike wrote: >> > The VAX Plan 9 kernel isn't worth anything. It never worked, was never >> > used, and was abandoned completely when better SMP machines started >> > appearing. The VAX code wasn't even ported, as I remember it; Ken and I >> > started over from scratch with a pair of 4-core SGI machines with MIPS >> CPUs >> > and wackadoo synchronization hardware. >> > >> > -rob >> >