Compiles before the return key That phrase as i recall it i have associated with the Amdahl mainframe, not IBM. Anyone else recall this event at a USENIX conference??? They released a C Compiler for it and I think also a unix version for it. the phrase that they coined to indicate the shear speed of it at the time went something like this - You can compile the entire UNIX kernel in the debounce time of the return key. It was part of the presentation on their C compiler implementation. Perhaps it was IBM and I need to replace some faulty core and rebuild some database indices...... The phrase has been stuck in my head ever since. On Sun, May 1, 2022, 10:43 PM Phil Budne wrote: > Ron Minnich wrote: > > in terms of rewrites from manuals, while it was not the first, as I > > understand it, AIX was an example of "read the manual, write the > > code." > > My memory, from having a "finger" program that tried to display the > foreground/active process for each tty/login/utmp entry, is that there > it was possible there were multiple code bases (tho it's possible > there was just one, and it mutated wildly across major versions), all > called "AIX" (and as my old boss, Barry Shein (BZS) at Boston > University said, they all "will remind you of Unix"), there were (at > least) versions for: > > RT PC > RS/6000 (POWER, PowerPC) > PS/2 > > I never had access to AIX/370, but BZS got a chance to try it out in a > VM on the academic computing S/390, and ISTR he said it finished > compiles before you hit return. > > There was also a (pretty clean, ISTR) port of 4.3 BSD to the RT called > "ACIS", but it might only have been available to academic sites. > > My memory is also that IBM had a very broad license for SVR2 and when > the Open Software Foundation came together (with people who weren't > AT&T or Sun), IBM was able to offer that up as a code base. > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > gether, >