The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
From: Kenneth Goodwin <kennethgoodwin56@gmail.com>
To: Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society <tuhs@tuhs.org>
Subject: [TUHS] Re: 'Huge' file support removed from PWB1
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 2023 03:21:19 -0500	[thread overview]

I have not seen the UNIX kernel source code in quite a while, but as I
recall the double indirect block algorithm did not kick in until the file
exceeded a certain threshold. So it would not make sense to remove the code
for performance reasons.

Perhaps this is more likely due to the use of larger logical block sizes....

Is the code physically removed or IFDEF'd out for conditional compilation?

Perhaps someone decided that programmers would never need to test code on
large files..