The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0
@ 2017-02-27  0:44 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2017-02-27  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Wasn't the default FS type S51K? Limitations like 14 chars directory
names only. No symbolic link ?

@ 2017-03-04  4:56                     ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-04  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

What VM hardware version?  It's not working for me w/ flexible or e1000.

--

  Cory Smelosky

  b4 at gewt.net

On Fri, Mar 3, 2017, at 08:22, Arthur Krewat wrote:

> Install successful on VMware ESXi 6.0u2

>  IDE hard drive, 2GB, on IDE bus 0, master (0:1)

>  CD drive on IDE bus 0, slave (0:1)

>  Network working using AMD-PCNET (VMware flexible adapter)

>  Same procedure as already posted, using HBA213 floppy image.

>  Cool stuff.

>  Side note: I tried a Buslogic SCSI adapter and 2GB hard drive, but
>  after the install was complete, it hung after reboot, maybe it didn't
>  like the IRQ the card was assigned to:

Time to attempt to migrate the qemu VM to vmware! ;)

--

  Cory Smelosky

  b4 at gewt.net

From: Henry Bent @ 2017-03-03 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I almost hate to bring this up at this point, but it seems worthwhile - are
SCO products now considered legal to distribute?  Or just Novell?  I had
thought not, but that may well be an outdated understanding of the
situation.

-Henry

From: Josh Good @ 2017-03-02 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017 Mar  2, 11:56, Corey Lindsly wrote:

> > I got it to install successfully, in VMware Server 1.0.2.
> >
> > The solution is to boot normally with the "id.dd" floppy image provided
> > by Corey Lindsly, with the ISO image also provided by Corey configured
> > as IDE 0:1 (first channel, slave), and with a virtual IDE disk (I'm
> > using 8 GB of size) as 0:0 (first channel, master).
> >
> > This setup leads to the already known IDE driver hanging. It's a
> > problem with the IDE driver provided by SCO with UnixWare 2.1. So,
> > when the install process asks whether you want to use a "HBA diskette",
> > load into your PC emulator's virtual floppy drive the updated "HBA
> > diskette" image provided by SCO for UnixWare 2.1.3, which is here:
> > ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/upd213/hba213.img
> >
> > This will stop the UnixWare 2.1 IDE driver from hanging, and the
> > install process will proceed successfully to completion.
> >
> > It should work equally well in VirtualBox.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Josh Good
> >

> Good stuff. Thanks. I was able to do the install in ESXi 5 with no
> problems using this information. Has anyone gotten the networking setup?
> There is an Intel PRO/1000 NIC driver package on the SCO site (ptf4016c)
> but it is for UW2.1.3 only and I was not able to get it to go. Sadly, the
> original 2.1 package ptf4016a appears to be gone. I suppose the next step
> would be to run through the updates from 2.1 to 2.1.3 unless someone else
> can share a simpler way to bring up a NIC.

I have networking up and running in UnixWare 2.1, on VMware Server 1.0.

VMware Server 1.0 virtualizes the "AMD PCNet" PCI ethernet card, and
UnixWare 2.1 has built-in drivers for it.

Can the virtualization software you are using offer an emulated "AMD
PCNet" PCI ethernet card to the virtual machine where you are running
UnixWare 2.1?

I attach these screenshots for your reference:

https://s29.postimg.org/rlnbqb687/screenshot_01_network_driver.png
https://s29.postimg.org/cw2hlt3yf/screenshot_02_network_driver.png
https://s29.postimg.org/3pk6yiypz/screenshot_03_network_driver.png
https://s29.postimg.org/qfjbrihxj/screenshot_04_booting.png
https://s29.postimg.org/li5r6efyf/screenshot_05_booting.png
https://s29.postimg.org/z0cnios3r/screenshot_06_X11.png
https://s29.postimg.org/g1n3c0mkn/screenshot_07_login.png

And now, it would be nice to have SSHd running. According to this post,
it's doable:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/comp.security.ssh/da7A-ma74zs

Does anyone volunteer to compile a package for SSHd in UnixWare 2.1,
and share it?

Regards,

--
Josh Good

* [TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0
@ 2017-03-02 19:56               ` Corey Lindsly
From: Corey Lindsly @ 2017-03-02 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I got it to install successfully, in VMware Server 1.0.2.
>
> The solution is to boot normally with the "id.dd" floppy image provided
> by Corey Lindsly, with the ISO image also provided by Corey configured
> as IDE 0:1 (first channel, slave), and with a virtual IDE disk (I'm
> using 8 GB of size) as 0:0 (first channel, master).
>
> This setup leads to the already known IDE driver hanging. It's a
> problem with the IDE driver provided by SCO with UnixWare 2.1. So,
> when the install process asks whether you want to use a "HBA diskette",
> load into your PC emulator's virtual floppy drive the updated "HBA
> diskette" image provided by SCO for UnixWare 2.1.3, which is here:
> ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/upd213/hba213.img
>
> This will stop the UnixWare 2.1 IDE driver from hanging, and the
> install process will proceed successfully to completion.
>
> It should work equally well in VirtualBox.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Josh Good

Good stuff. Thanks. I was able to do the install in ESXi 5 with no
problems using this information. Has anyone gotten the networking setup?
There is an Intel PRO/1000 NIC driver package on the SCO site (ptf4016c)
but it is for UW2.1.3 only and I was not able to get it to go. Sadly, the
original 2.1 package ptf4016a appears to be gone. I suppose the next step
would be to run through the updates from 2.1 to 2.1.3 unless someone else
can share a simpler way to bring up a NIC.

--corey

* [TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0
@ 2017-03-01 23:24                     ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-01 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

And now, get a kernel build error.

Looking at it a bit further in a second.

@ 2017-03-01 23:13                   ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-01 23:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-01 23:07                 ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-01 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-03-01 23:06               ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-03-01 23:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-03-01 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

That's easier than the way I did it ;)

Sent from my iPhone

> On Mar 1, 2017, at 14:45, Josh Good <pepe at naleco.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2017 Feb 27, 14:59, Arthur Krewat wrote:
>> I've been trying this myself today, both on ESXi 6.0U2, and I went and
>> installed ESXi 5.0 as a guest under 6.0U2 :)
>>
>> I notice that when I put the CD as IDE 1:0 (bus 1, master) it doesn't
>> find it. When I put it as 0:0 (bus 0, master), it hangs loading the IDE
>> driver.
>>
>> I suspect it doesn't know about bus 1, so it doesn't hang but also
>> doesn't find it, and there's something wrong with either VMware's
>> implementation of IDE, or SCO's handling of it - or both. I've read
>> where lots of devices in VMware are just to "perfect" for some device
>> drivers to deal with. One glaring example was you couldn't use the LSI
>> SAS driver with Solaris 11. It would either hang or panic, I forget
>> which. Switch to LSI Parallel SCSI, and it was fine.
>>
>> Anyway, I suspect that there's something in the IDE driver that's
>> ignoring bus1, and hanging with VMware's implementation of it.
>>
>> I'm going to try installing ESXi 4.0 and see what happens.
>>
>> On another note, it's possible I just need to install the hard drive as
>> IDE from the get-go, have the CDROM as slave on bus 0 and see what happens.
>>
>> Any pointers?
>>
>> thanks!
>> art k.

> I got it to install successfully, in VMware Server 1.0.2.
>
> The solution is to boot normally with the "id.dd" floppy image provided
> by Corey Lindsly, with the ISO image also provided by Corey configured
> as IDE 0:1 (first channel, slave), and with a virtual IDE disk (I'm
> using 8 GB of size) as 0:0 (first channel, master).
>
> This setup leads to the already known IDE driver hanging. It's a
> problem with the IDE driver provided by SCO with UnixWare 2.1. So,
> when the install process asks whether you want to use a "HBA diskette",
> load into your PC emulator's virtual floppy drive the updated "HBA
> diskette" image provided by SCO for UnixWare 2.1.3, which is here:
> ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/upd213/hba213.img
>
> This will stop the UnixWare 2.1 IDE driver from hanging, and the
> install process will proceed successfully to completion.
>
> It should work equally well in VirtualBox.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Josh Good

* [TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0
@ 2017-03-01 22:45             ` Josh Good
                                 ` (2 more replies)
From: Josh Good @ 2017-03-01 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-28 21:00         ` Josh Good
From: Josh Good @ 2017-02-28 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2017 Feb 27, 08:49, Corey Lindsly wrote:

> > Count me in. I put my hand up for a copy of SCO when they were offering free
> > samplers in the early 2000s, but never heard back from them.
> >
> > I wanted to compare it with Linux ...
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Wesley Parish
>
> For anyone interested, the SCO 2.1 images are available for download here:
>
> http://lod.com/sco
>
> A few things:
>
> 1. I am having some difficulty getting it to install in VMWare ESXi 5. The
> floppy image boots, and I get some way into the install process, but SCO
> install does not see the virtual CD-ROM drive. Thus, I'm presented with
> network install options only. At this point, there are a few options:
>
> (a) Track down the driver and/or VMWare settings to fix the CD-ROM
> visibility, and proceed with the install.
>
> (b) Set up a SCO network install server, and proceed.
>
> (c) Try the install on legacy physical hardware instead.
>
> Of course, your experience may differ.
>

> 2. There's actually an installation guide available for this OS here:
>
> ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/upd211/eng211.txt
>
> As well as a lot of driver updates and other good stuff:
>
> ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/
>

> 3. Anyone who wants to try SCO for the first time may find 5.0.7 a much
> easier go. It will install directly from CD in VMWare, and there is more
> driver support for it. To me, it has a very "pure" UNIX feel to it,
> other than the gratuitous and absurd use of symbolic links all over the
> file system. If you're interested in trying-out that version, let me know
> and I'll put up those images for download too.

Well, the subject says "SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0", but what you call
"SCO 2.1" and for which you link updates at ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/
is UnixWare, which is a very different beast.

SCO OpenDesktop (and SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 that you mention) are SysVR3
based (they are, in fact, the evolution of Microsoft Xenix). Those don't
support at-runtime loadable kernel modules (only at-bootime loadable
kernel modules are supported).

UnixWare, on the other hand, is SysVR4 based, and comes directly from
Novell, who bought it from USL, who bought it from AT&T.

UnixWare 2.1 is the last version of UnixWare before SCO bundled their
"scoadmin" tool with it. UnixWare 2.1.1 also is officially "Unix-95"
certified. UnixWare 2.1 is probably the purest UNIX SysVR4 to be run
on a PC/386, and has very little in common with the archaic SysVR3-based
OpenDesktop/OpenServer releases from SCO.

Regards,

--
Josh Good

* [TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0
@ 2017-02-28  6:50                           ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-28  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

After a ridiculous method of copying the update 1440k at a time, I upgraded to 2.1.3 and now it boots in qemu.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-02-28  3:54                         ` Cory Smelosky

  b4 at gewt.net

@ 2017-02-28  2:55           ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-28  2:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017, at 18:52, Cory Smelosky wrote:

> I would grab it from Xinuous' website but I seem to have forgotten what
> the hell I provided for "first phone number"....so can't log in.

I found the password, at least...phone number on file is still a mystery
however.

Seems you just need an account to grab 5...I have no support contract.

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0
@ 2017-02-28  2:52         ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-28  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

* [TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0
@ 2017-02-28  1:31                       ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-28  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

I did. Didn't even get to the installer.

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-02-28  1:15                     ` Michael Kerpan
From: Michael Kerpan @ 2017-02-28  1:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-28  0:19                   ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-02-28  0:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-27 20:18                 ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-02-27 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-27 20:08               ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-27 20:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-27 20:06             ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-27 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-27 19:59           ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-02-27 19:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-27 17:12         ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-27 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Corey Lindsly wrote:
>> Count me in. I put my hand up for a copy of SCO when they were offering free
>> samplers in the early 2000s, but never heard back from them.
>>
>> I wanted to compare it with Linux ...
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Wesley Parish
>
> For anyone interested, the SCO 2.1 images are available for download here:
>
> http://lod.com/sco
>
> A few things:
>
> 1. I am having some difficulty getting it to install in VMWare ESXi 5. The
> floppy image boots, and I get some way into the install process, but SCO
> install does not see the virtual CD-ROM drive. Thus, I'm presented with
> network install options only. At this point, there are a few options:
>
> (a) Track down the driver and/or VMWare settings to fix the CD-ROM
> visibility, and proceed with the install.
>
> (b) Set up a SCO network install server, and proceed.
>
> (c) Try the install on legacy physical hardware instead.
>
> Of course, your experience may differ.
>

> 2. There's actually an installation guide available for this OS here:
>
> ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/upd211/eng211.txt
>
> As well as a lot of driver updates and other good stuff:
>
> ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/UW21/
>

> 3. Anyone who wants to try SCO for the first time may find 5.0.7 a much
> easier go. It will install directly from CD in VMWare, and there is more
> driver support for it. To me, it has a very "pure" UNIX feel to it,
> other than the gratuitous and absurd use of symbolic links all over the
> file system. If you're interested in trying-out that version, let me know
> and I'll put up those images for download too.
>
> Regards,
>
> --corey

I have a note to myself to try an install in PCem later today.

* [TUHS] SCO OpenDesktop 386 2.0.0
@ 2017-02-27 16:49       ` Corey Lindsly
                           ` (2 more replies)
From: Corey Lindsly @ 2017-02-27 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-27 13:57       ` Arthur Krewat
From: Arthur Krewat @ 2017-02-27 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm in if it can be distributed.

Is it something TUHS can archive? Sorry if that's a newbie question.

@ 2017-02-27  9:51     ` Wesley Parish
From: Wesley Parish @ 2017-02-27  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-27  7:53   ` Rico Pajarola
From: Rico Pajarola @ 2017-02-27  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-02-26 18:50   ` Cory Smelosky
From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-26 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017, at 07:07, Corey Lindsly wrote:

> > The 'oldest' I have is a set of SCO UNIX 3.2V4.0 and V4.2
> >
> > Mail me if you're interested
> >
> > Cheers,
> > rudi
>
> I seem to have CD and floppy images for SCO 2.1.
>
> drwxr-xr-x    2 corey    1002          4096 Feb  3  2006 ./
> drwxr-xr-x   27 corey    1002         20480 Feb 24 09:13 ../
> -rw-r--r--    1 corey    1002           156 Oct  9  2006 README
> -rwxr--r--    1 corey    1002     564658176 Feb  2  2006 SCO-2.1-CD.iso*
> -rwxr--r--    1 corey    1002       1474560 Feb  3  2006 hba.dd*
> -rwxr--r--    1 corey    1002       1474560 Feb  3  2006 id.dd*
> -rwxr--r--    1 corey    1002       1474560 Feb  3  2006 niu1.dd*
> -rwxr--r--    1 corey    1002       1474560 Feb  3  2006 niu2.dd*
>
> I'm happy to provide them if anyone is interested.
>
> --corey

I must archive EVERYTHING! ;)

--
  Cory Smelosky
  b4 at gewt.net

From: Cory Smelosky @ 2017-02-26 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017, at 08:13, Arthur Krewat wrote:

> What filesystem type does it use for root/boot/whatever?

>  Install operating system "X" that supports that filesystem type in
>  the virtual guest, create a new disk, newfs/mkfs it, arrange the bits
>  from the tape, take the newly-assembled disk and move to another VM
>  and try to boot it.
>

>  Not remembering anything about how SVR3.2 boots (I think that's what
>  Opendesktop is?) that's the end of my help on the
> subject :)

Now that's a bit of a bootstrap paradox. ;)

I should be able to do that, actually. Just need...time.

--

  Cory Smelosky

  b4 at gewt.net

@ 2017-02-26 16:13     ` Arthur Krewat