The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* Re: [TUHS] Question
@ 2021-01-10  2:43 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2021-01-10  2:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

From output of 'what' on /bin/sh in SCO UNIX 3.2V4.2

- spname.c 23.2 91/02/21

Cheers,
uncle rubl

>Date: Sat, 09 Jan 2021 03:39:16 -05
>From: Norman Wilson <norman@oclsc.org>
>To: tuhs@tuhs.org
>Subject: Re: [TUHS] Question
>
>Rob Pike, re the spelling corrector in V8 and later Research
>versions of sh:
>
> That was done by Tom Duff, I believe before he came to Bell Labs. I might
> have brought the idea with me from Toronto.
>
>Very likely, since you left it behind at Caltech as well; it was
>in sh on cithep (a hostname meaningless to many but rob will remember)
>when I arrived in 1980.
>
>It was in the version of p you left behind there as well.
>
>I can confirm that spname remained in the shell through V10
>(it's still in my copy), but it seems to have disappeared from p.
>
>Norman Wilson
>Toronto ON

* Re: [TUHS] Question
@ 2021-01-09  8:39 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2021-01-09  8:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

@ 2021-01-05  4:36 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2021-01-05  4:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs

The spell check in 'cd' commands I remember from SCO UNIX 3.2

The 'sh' manual page has
    Spelling checker

    When using cd(C) the shell checks spelling. For example, if you change to
    a different directory using cd and misspell the directory name, the shell
    responds with an alternative spelling of an existing directory. Enter
    ``y'' and press <Return> (or just press <Return>) to change to the
    offered directory.  If the offered spelling is incorrect, enter ``n'',
    then retype the command line.  In this example the sh(C) response is
    boldfaced:

       $ cd /usr/spol/uucp
       cd /usr/spool/uucp?y
       ok

Cheers,
uncle rubl

>Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2021 02:08:09 -0700
>From: arnold@skeeve.com
>To: m.douglas.mcilroy@dartmouth.edu, egbegb2@gmail.com
>Cc: tuhs@tuhs.org
>Subject: Re: [TUHS] Question
>
>The spelling corrector in the shell rings vague bell. I think
>it's in the 8th or 9th edition Bourne shell. You should be able to
>find those in the archives.
>
>Geoff Collyer has a modern port of the V9 shell at
>http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/v9sh.tar.
>
>HTH,
.>
>Arnold

* Re: [TUHS] Question
@ 2021-01-03 20:23 M Douglas McIlroy
From: M Douglas McIlroy @ 2021-01-03 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tuhs, egbegb2

> I was a BTL person for 8 years between 1976 and 1984. During
> that time there was a spelling corrector that was better than
> anything I see today. There was a concept of "spelling distance"
> that corrected a whole bunch of stuff that even today cannot be >
corrected.

> Who in that era worked on spelling correction at BTL. I was at
> Columbus BTL (1976-1979) and Whippany BTL (1979-1984).

Peter Nelson made an interface to spell(1) that showed putative errors in
context. I believe it could suggest corrections. I remember the project; I
installed hooks for it in spell(1). I don't remember the date, but it would
probably not have been early enough for you to have used it in Columbus.

If there's a chance that Peter's program is the one you remember
and you'd like to get in touch with him, I can give you his
email address.

Doug

* [TUHS] Question
@ 2021-01-03 10:13 Ed Bradford