The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] History repeating itself (was: Unix v6 problem with /tmp)
@ 2016-07-31  4:25 Rudi Blom
From: Rudi Blom @ 2016-07-31  4:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2016 15:30:36 +0000
> From: Michael Kjörling <michael at kjorling.se>
> To: tuhs at tuhs.org
> Subject: Re: [TUHS] History repeating itself
>
> On 30 Jul 2016 10:15 -0400, from cowan at mercury.ccil.org (John Cowan):
>>> Who needs FedEx?
>>
>> Well, latency counts for something too, as does radius: if I want to
>> send bulk data from New York to London (a very normal thing to do),
>> your station wagon isn't going to count for much.
>
> You could, however, get an economy class flight ticket and load up
> your suitcase with either HDDs or SDXCs (I suspect SDXCs would be
> better per amount of data from the perspective of both volume and
> weight, and would take better to handling). Given FedEx's prices,
> _once you have the infrastructure set up_ (which you'll need whether
> you have someone travel with the media, by air or by stationwagon, or
> FedEx it), that _might_ even compare favorably in terms of bytes
> transferred per second per dollar. (Now that's a measurement of
> throughput I don't think I've seen before; B/s/$.) Of course, you'd
> need someone who can babysit the suitcase, which potentially adds to
> the cost, but the stationwagon traditionally hasn't been self-driving
> either, and most of a transatlantic flight isn't active time on part
> of the person travelling with the suitcase so you could go with an
> overnight flight and allow the person to sleep.
>
> If you want to reduce the risk of the bag getting handled roughly or
> lost in handling, reduce the above to carry-on luggage; it will still
> provide a quite respectable throughput.
>
> ... ...
>
> It might not be the absolute cheapest approach, but it seems rather
> hard to beat in terms of throughput per dollar for bulk data transfer,
> especially if you already have someone who would travel anyway and can
> be convinced to take a company-approved suitcase in return for having
> their ticket paid for.
>
> --
> Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael at kjorling.se
>                  “People who think they know everything really annoy
>                  those of us who know we don’t.” (Bjarne Stroustrup)

To setup the 'infrastructure might be the tricky part. Many years ago
I flew from Montreal to Amsterdam and had two stacks of 5-1/4"
diskettes with me. No papers, confiscated in Amsterdam.

Cheers,
Rudi

* [TUHS] History repeating itself (was: Unix v6 problem with /tmp)
@ 2016-08-03 11:53 Norman Wilson
From: Norman Wilson @ 2016-08-03 11:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dave Horsfall:

  Not Henry Spencer, perchance?

=====

Since the Canadian in question had been working in the US since
1964 or so, he must by now be pushing 70 years old.

I haven't seen Henry for some years, but I don't think he has
aged that much.

Norman Wilson
Toronto ON

* [TUHS] Unix v6 problem with /tmp
@ 2016-07-27 20:28 Mark Longridge
From: Mark Longridge @ 2016-07-27 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi folks,

My root partition for Unix v6 is almost full and /dev/rk0 only has 83 blocks.

The trouble is I wanted to compile bc.y and I think it needs around
300 blocks of temporary space. I was wondering if there was a way to
set up Unix v6 so that it could use one of the other drives for tmp
space. I tried to set up a link using ln but it seems I can't link
across filesystems.

The exact error is "26: Intermediate file error".

I managed to rearrange things so that /dev/rk0 had over 300 blocks of
free space and it fixed the problem, but I'm curious if there was
another solution.

Mark