The Unix Heritage Society mailing list
* [TUHS] execl and execv, first appearance in unix
@ 2020-03-22 15:58 Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-03-22 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

Greetings,

I was reviewing a manual page update and came across an ambiguous answer to
a question that came up, so I thought I'd ask here.

execl and execv first appear in our extant unix man pages in V4. The v3 and
v2 man pages don't have this listed at all. Case closed, right? It appeared
in V4.

However, the Dennis_v1/unix72 tree has execl.s and execv.s in them. Diving
back into the history on Warren's github account,
https://github.com/DoctorWkt/unix-jun72/tree/master/src says they come from:
"The files in lib/ come from the libc.sa file which is on the
last1120c.tar.gz

tap(I) tape image, also at the same URL, and form the C library for the
above compiler."

and

"from a working C compiler for 2nd Edition UNIX."

which suggests that it may have been in V2 or maybe even V1. It's
first use in Unix appears to be V5, but the extant pre-v5 code is so
fragmentary it's hard to know for sure. It's not mentioned in section
II or section III of v1, v2 or v3.

Does anybody know for sure, or can provide more insight into the
last1120c.tar.gz file to help disambiguate?

Warner

* Re: [TUHS] execl and execv, first appearance in unix
@ 2020-03-22 20:20 ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-03-22 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: tuhs

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 09:58:29AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> "from a working C compiler for 2nd Edition UNIX."

> Does anybody know for sure, or can provide more insight into the last1120c.tar.g
> z file to help disambiguate?

Yes, all the details are on Dennis' web page:

https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/primevalC.html

Cheers! Warren

* Re: [TUHS] execl and execv, first appearance in unix
@ 2020-03-22 20:49   ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-03-22 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 2:20 PM Warren Toomey <wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 09:58:29AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > "from a working C compiler for 2nd Edition UNIX."
>
> > Does anybody know for sure, or can provide more insight into the
> last1120c.tar.g
> > z file to help disambiguate?
>
> Yes, all the details are on Dennis' web page:
>
> https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/primevalC.html

Magic historical 8-ball sez: situation unclear, try again.

So could be 2nd, 3rd or 4th edition given the date range.

@ 2020-03-22 21:44     ` Warren Toomey
From: Warren Toomey @ 2020-03-22 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warner Losh; +Cc: tuhs

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 02:49:03PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>    On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 2:20 PM Warren Toomey <[1]wkt@tuhs.org> wrote:
>
>      On Sun, Mar 22, 2020 at 09:58:29AM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
>      > "from a working C compiler for 2nd Edition UNIX."
>      > Does anybody know for sure, or can provide more insight into the
>      last1120c.tar.g
>      > z file to help disambiguate?
>      Yes, all the details are on Dennis' web page:
>      [2]https://www.bell-labs.com/usr/dmr/www/primevalC.html
>
>    Magic historical 8-ball sez: situation unclear, try again.
>    So could be 2nd, 3rd or 4th edition given the date range.

Someone from the Labs here on the list might be able to clarify. I'm sure
I heard that they start with the PDP-11/20 and got an 11/45 around the time
of Second Edition. So the "last1120c" was the C compiler around the time of
Second Edition.

Cheers, Warren

* Re: [TUHS] execl and execv, first appearance in unix
@ 2020-03-22 22:03       ` Warner Losh
From: Warner Losh @ 2020-03-22 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Toomey; +Cc: The Eunuchs Hysterical Society