On Sun, Feb 26, 2023, 9:23 AM Leah Neukirchen wrote: > Larry McVoy writes: > > > On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 04:50:34PM +0100, Leah Neukirchen wrote: > >> Warner Losh writes: > >> > >> > - was there any discussion of alternatives to X? > >> >> > >> > > >> > Discussions yes. But not much more than talk. > >> > > >> > There were vgalib apps that ran graphics on the console, but I never > used > >> > them. > >> > >> Back then I didn't have enough disk space to install X11 and TeX at > >> the same time, so I mostly worked on the 80x25 console > > > > screen(1) was my go to back in the days of limited resources. Especially > > screen -r so you could detach, come back the next day and have all your > > setup right there. > > > > Wasn't that fancy but oh so useful. I'm with Ted in that we just wanted > > a bunch of terminal windows. > > Curiously, I learned about screen only way later, when I used remote > systems. But I made getty spawn on 12 ttys, so that worked as well to > multitask. > That's a trick that dates back to the 80s. Different Unixes did that. I first saw it on the DEC Rainbow running an enhanced Venix (V7) in like 1987 where you had 4 consoles, but no job control.... SCO System V did it in the late 80s too. I think the pre system V Xenix did too. Warner -- > Leah Neukirchen https://leahneukirchen.org >