On Mon, Apr 29, 2019 at 8:39 AM Norman Wilson wrote: > Dennis's `The UNIX I/O System' paper in Volume 2 of the 7/e > manual is basically about how drivers work. Is that near > enough, possibly as augmented by Ken's `UNIX Implementation' > paper in the same book? > I'm not blessed with paper versions of these, but they are in usr/doc/iosys and usr/doc/cacm/* respectively. > Those were my own starting point, long ago, for understanding > how to write device drivers. Along with existing source code > as examples, of course, but (unlikely many who hack on device > drivers, I'm afraid) I have always preferred to have a proper > statement of rules, conventions, and interfaces rather than > just reading code and guessing. > Yes. This is exactly what I was looking for, and I'm surprised I hadn't thought to look here sooner. Thanks! Warner