On Tue, Jul 21, 2020, 4:52 PM David Arnold wrote: > > On 22 Jul 2020, at 04:15, Warner Losh wrote: > > <…> > > > The root disks date from a time before Linux had shared libraries, I > thought, > > IIRC, Linux had two different shared library implementations? I haven’t > looked, and don’t remember the details, but it might have been linked to > the switch from a.out to ELF for executables? IIRC, the pre-ELF shared > libs were a hack on the a.out executable format. > Yes. Those were the SunOS like ones, but with weird address location quirks. Warner Not sure where that fits into the /etc vs. /sbin timeline. ISTR Linux was > somewhat inclined away from the BSD way of doing things (in favour of > Solaris/SVR4). > > > > > d > >