On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:57 PM Tom Lyon wrote: > Hi, folks. Tom Lyon here - this UNIX 370 stuff was recovered by Stephen at > LCM+L from DECtapes that I've had sitting around for 40+ years. > You can read all about the Princeton/Amdahl project here: > https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/12/370unixpart1/ > > If anyone wants to get serious with the code, you'll need Hercules with a > VM/370 image as well as a PDP-11 emulator running V6. There's not a lot > beyond the kernel, I got the shell working enough to prove that fork > worked, and then ran out of steam because of the awful communication > problems between the PDP and the IBM. [ But that was my start as a > networking guy ]. I personally haven't had time to do anything with the > recovered bits. > > I've been lurking on TUHS for a while - a special Hi to Ken Thompson and > Steve Johnson. I owe a lot to each of them. Read about my summer at Bell > with the Interdata 8/32 here: > https://akapugs.blog/2018/05/16/belllabspart1/ > These are interesting bits that add to the flavor of what we know already. Thank you for taking the time to write this up... One interesting thing from this. Your UNIX 370 port was started before the Wollongong Interdata port. Your work on Unix 370 started in August of '75, but the Wollongong port started in November '76 and was put into production in July '77. And we have the TSS/370 port described in the BSTJ, and the Bell Lab's Intersil 8/32 port. It makes me wonder what other porting efforts had started in the 75-78 time frame.... Warner > On Mon, Oct 28, 2019 at 9:04 PM Warren Toomey wrote: > >> All, the second Unix artifact that I've been waiting to announce has >> arrived. This time the LCM+L is announcing it. It's not the booting PDP-7. >> >> So, cast your eyes on https://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Distributions/IBM/370/ >> >> Cheers, Warren >> >> P.S Thanks to Stephen Jones for this as well. >> > > > -- > - Tom >