On Thu, Jun 20, 2024, 7:32 PM Alexis wrote: > "Greg A. Woods" writes: > > > Indeed there is. Nothing new about it either. It's been around > > for two > > decades or more. > > TIL - thank you! i've never seen this mentioned before. (Perhaps > because i only use autoconf as an end-user, rather than as a dev.) > I used it on OpenBSD in the 90s to make ports builds go much faster in the days before pkgsrc was a going concern. It made a huge difference on my arc machine that was about P75 speed, the speed of a pentium clocked at 75MHz.... it was an R4000PC running at 100MHz iirc. Warner Looking at section 15.8 of that manual, it looks like i could > specify that `-C` / `--config-cache` be passed to configure by > default site-wide. So i might do so on my Gentoo system - given > most things on that system are locally compiled, it might be an > interesting stress-test data-point regarding configuration > caching. > > > Alexis. >