On Mon, May 8, 2023, 9:32 PM segaloco via TUHS wrote: > > > In the midst of my documentation research, I've done a little analysis > on the life and times of this whimsical little phrase which first appeared > in the "HOW TO GET STARTED" or basinf section of the Third Edition manual > (a derivative of the original login(VII) page): > > > > > "When you type to UNIX, a gnome deep in the system is gathering your > characters and saving them in a secret place." > > > > > > No sign of a login(VII) page in my "Program Generic PG-1C300 Issue 2" > > manual (no page, no entry in table of context, or permuted index). > > By that point the quoted section was likely in the intro preceding the TOC > and permuted index. The login(VII) page only survived the first two > editions, but portions of it were augmented into the secondary part of the > introduction starting with the Third Edition manual. > > https://gitlab.com/segaloco/v2man/-/blob/master/man7/login.7 > > vs > > https://www.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/utree.pl?file=V3/man/man0/basinf > > This basinf file persisted until somewhere between V6 and V7 when it was > merged with intro. > I wonder if this is why the default root password on Venix is gnomes? Warner > - Matt G. >